It has been a long year. I’d been overwhelmed for a long time now. Honestly the only thing that kept me from completely breaking was my faith. But there are other things that I’d like to share that help me feel a little better in the midst of the storm. Maybe they’ll help you figure out what you need to recharge.
- Alone time. This doesn’t always work, sometimes I need people, but more than I’ve ever needed in my life, I’ve needed alone time to think and to process and to pray.
- Time outdoors. This one doesn’t always work either sadly. There are hikes where I just want to sit down and quit. But more and more I’m enjoying hiking like I used to.
- Time with friends. For me this can’t just be with any friend. It has to either be with a friend with no idea what’s gone on in my life, or with one close enough that if I’m not talkative, they don’t mind.
- Time reading the Bible. There is so much that’s comforting in the Bible. You can read about God’s love and faithfulness or about others’ pain and suffering and see that you’re not alone and that God was with them. I’m so grateful for it. You have no idea how many verses I’ve highlighted and how much I’ve read my Bible in the last few months. I’ve read through Job, been encouraged by Paul’s conversion, and been comforted through the Psalms.
- Time praying. This doesn’t always help, frequently it’s me crying out to God for relief or patience, but it’s nice to know that God is listening. Even if I feel like the world has caved in around me, he’s there and he cares.
Things are better; life doesn’t always go according to plan but you adjust and you move on. All of this has made my faith that much stronger and has made me a stronger person.
What do you like to do to keep yourself refreshed?